March 22, 2011

Fabulous Fabric...Tuesday...William Morris...

I have missed my Friday column, 'Fabulous Fabric Friday' as I'm finding it a challenge to put together a post after two days working 10 hours back to back. Soooo, instead, I am reconsidering writing this column for Mondays or Tuesdays. I have long admired William Morris, his aesthetic, his leading the Arts and Crafts movement in England in the 1800's and his artistry that was so beautifully made into fabrics and wallpaper.  His work was inspired by nature, fruits and flowers and is still used today in interiors long after his death in 1896. The patterns look so fresh even now, and can be adapted to many different styles of homes, especially the Arts and Crafts home. For information and to learn more about the history of William Morris, go here and to purchase any of the fabrics or wallpapers, go here. I have featured just a few of my favorite patterns.

"Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." William Morris from 'The Beauty of Life' 1880










Love this...

...and this...

I think this is my favorite...



This is gorgeous too...I can't decide, I love them all!!

William Morris was also a rug designer, typographist and artist who loved to paint. He was also asked to be England's Poet Laureate by Queen Victoria, but declined this honor.  Most importantly, his work has NEVER been out of production for over a century.

Do you have a favorite here that you would like in your home or choose for a client?

(images historicstyle.com)

Have you seen my new page 'VirtualDecor?'  If you need help with decorating, please check it out and contact me for more information including my rates at monacointeriors76@yahoo.com.

1 comment:

  1. I love that William Morris quote, Sarah! Have a great Wednesday. xo

    ReplyDelete