July 23, 2012

Top 5 tips for downsizing...

Hello all! I've got some great tips for you if you are thinking about downsizing OR just having a good clean out around your house. Lots of clutter around you is never a good thing, especially in Feng Shui.  So, here are my tips that I have recently applied and feel so much better for it.


1. Throw out all your old magazines and books - if you are like I was, I had piles and piles, over 100 magazines. Did I read them? No! Did I refer to them? No! Dump them!! Recycle or sell them at your yard sale for $1 each.  Same goes for books...if you have read them, dump them. Call a charity and they will come and pick up your boxes of books. Only certain design books you love should be kept as a small library for yourself. 


$12 bookcase for my design books...

2. Got extra furniture like small occasional tables or chairs? If they are collecting dust - sell them or give them to Goodwill. No need for these at all. Plus if you are downsizing from a large house to a small house like I did, they will take up way too much room.

I love my white chair, the orange has to go...I will keep it but
paint it white...see how much room these need? Note piles
of mags behind the chairs...most have been taken to be recycled.


3. Update your walls and get rid of old art work that you bought 10 years ago or longer. I got rid of some prints I've had since 1986 and frankly, they were terribly faded and didn't look good anymore. I had a couple of Andrew Wyeth prints that I used to love, but, let's face it, we move on from things we loved at one time. Also the style in your home might be different so get rid of it! I had some art deco prints that fit a certain design scheme. Sell them at your yard sale.


As you can see, I am definitely keeping my Anne Harwell 
print so KEEP ONLY WHAT YOU LOVE!!



4. Knick knacks? Collecting dust? Sitting on a table for no real reason other than its pretty?? Who cares! Be ruthless! There is no need for pictures on tables and knicky knacky things that just don't serve any purpose. Dust collectors!! Keep a couple of treasured items and sell the rest at your big yard sale. 

I spot a knick knack!! I'm totally guilty of this and
am trying to change my ways...mostly because I have
no room now...;-))



5.  Any item in the kitchen that has not been used in the last 1-3 years such as kitchen items...blenders, Cuisinarts, Foreman grills, electric griddles (I actually had one!), vases, plates, extra wine glasses etc. These are fabulous items for yard sales or charities. Need some new clean space? Clear out the old. And another good tip: if you buy a new item, an old item has to go!! Don't keep collecting! 


Those are my top 5 tips for clearing out your house - I hope it helps if its a project you are thinking about doing or currently working on.  Hope you have a great day!


PS: I am still working on my header links...


(images by me)


If you need to advertise your business here or need interior decorating assistance, please contact me at monacointeriors76@yahoo.com.







2 comments:

  1. Great post - I am just in the process of cleaning out all of my teaching curriculum and materials since retiring - it feels cathartic doesn't it? Now on to sprucing up my Blog. I'm loving your new fresh look by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes Yes Yes! I am all about getting rid of the old (and making room for the new!) I have been going through my magazine piles over the last few days but this post is making me think I need to get rid of more.
    Btw, love the new blog look!

    ReplyDelete